Science education plays a critical role in helping students understand the world around them and develop critical thinking skills. For homeschoolers, finding a curriculum that meets their educational needs and aligns with their beliefs can be a challenge. Enter Apologia Science Curriculum – a popular and highly-regarded homeschool science program that aims to provide students with a comprehensive and engaging education in science from a biblical, creationist perspective. In this article, we will take a closer look at what makes Apologia Science Curriculum unique and why it has become a popular choice among homeschoolers and science educators alike.
I hope you enjoy reading this blog post. If you want to do my course on how to homeschool, click here.
Affiliate links are used on this website.
Before we start, if you are a newcomer to homeschooling, I highly suggest enrolling in the Homeschool Parenting Program. This program will provide you with comprehensive knowledge of homeschooling, ensuring that you feel confident and at ease. The course is both engaging and enlightening.
What is the Apologia Science Curriculum?
The curriculum focuses on teaching science from a biblical, creationist perspective and aims to help students understand the world around them and the role that science plays in our lives.
One of the key strengths of the Apologia science curriculum is its in-depth, hands-on approach to science education.
The curriculum is designed to be student-led and interactive, allowing students to learn through experimentation, observation, and exploration.
This hands-on approach makes science more accessible and relevant to students, helping to deepen their understanding and increase their engagement with the subject.
Another strength of this curriculum is its comprehensive coverage of a wide range of scientific topics, including biology, chemistry, physics, and astronomy.
The curriculum is designed to provide students with a broad foundation in science, preparing them for further study in these fields and beyond.
In addition to its comprehensive coverage, the Apologia curriculum is also notable for its clear and accessible writing style.
The curriculum is written in a conversational tone that makes complex scientific concepts easy to understand, even for students with limited prior experience in science.
Finally, this science program is highly flexible, allowing teachers and students to tailor their learning experiences to their individual needs and preferences.
The curriculum provides a range of resources, including textbooks, study guides, and lab kits, allowing students to learn at their own pace and in a way that works best for them.
What is the Creationist Approach to Science?
Although most readers know what the creationist approach is, I thought it best to delineate it to make sure.
The creationist view of science education is based on the belief that the natural world was created by a supernatural being (typically God) and that the story of creation as described in the Bible is a true and accurate account of the origins of the universe.
This view is in contrast to the scientific theory of evolution, which posits that species have changed over time through natural processes such as mutation and natural selection.
From a creationist perspective, teaching science involves incorporating biblical principles and a biblical understanding of the natural world into the teaching of scientific concepts.
This approach seeks to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of science that takes into account both scientific evidence and the beliefs and values of their faith.
Parents who choose to use a creationist approach to teaching science may do so for a number of reasons, including a desire to align their educational values with their religious beliefs, a belief that this approach provides a more comprehensive and well-rounded education or a concern that the theory of evolution is inconsistent with their religious beliefs.
It’s important to note that the creationist view of science education is not accepted by the scientific community and is often considered to be at odds with the scientific consensus.
However, for many parents and educators, the creationist view provides a meaningful and relevant framework for understanding the natural world and the role of science in our lives.
What Does Apologia Mean in this Context?
The word “apologia” is derived from the Greek word “apología,” which means “defense” or “justification.”
In the context of Apologia Science Curriculum, the word is used to suggest that the curriculum is designed to provide students with a defense of the biblical, creationist perspective on the natural world.
This means that the curriculum aims to help students understand the scientific concepts they are studying in the context of their religious beliefs and to provide them with a clear understanding of why this perspective is scientifically valid and defensible.
Features of Apologia Science
Here is a list of some of the key features of Apologia science curriculum:
- Biblical, Creationist Perspective: This curriculum approaches science education from a biblical, creationist perspective, helping students understand the world and their place in it from a biblical viewpoint.
- Comprehensive Coverage: The curriculum covers a wide range of scientific topics, including biology, chemistry, physics, and astronomy, providing students with a comprehensive foundation in science.
- Hands-On Approach: This program is designed to be student-led and interactive, allowing students to learn through experimentation, observation, and exploration.
- Clear Writing Style: The curriculum is written in a clear, conversational tone that makes complex scientific concepts easy to understand, even for students with limited prior experience in science.
- Flexible and Adaptable: The curriculum is highly flexible, providing students and teachers with the resources they need to tailor their learning experience to their individual needs and preferences.
- Lab Kits: The curriculum comes with lab kits, allowing students to conduct experiments and gain hands-on experience with scientific concepts.
- Study Guides: The curriculum includes study guides, which provide students with additional resources and support as they learn about science.
- Textbooks: The textbooks included in the curriculum provide a comprehensive overview of scientific concepts and include engaging illustrations and examples.
- Experienced and Knowledgeable Author: The curriculum was written by Dr. Jay Wile, a well-respected scientist and homeschool educator with over 30 years of experience in science education.
These are just a few of the key features of Apologia science curriculum. Whether you are a homeschool parent looking for a science curriculum for your child or a science teacher looking for a resource to use in your classroom, Apologia Science Curriculum is a comprehensive, engaging, and effective option.
What Grades Does this Curriculum Offer?
Apologia has programs for all ages including:
- PreK and
- Grade 1-12.
They also offer parent resources to help you teach science easily and in a fun manner.
How Much Does the Apologia Homeschool Curriculum Cost
The Apologia science curriculum varies in cost a fair bit depending on the grade you buy.
Younger years are less expensive, and older years are more expensive as there are more involved and more manipulatives.
Another thing that changes the cost is the format you buy the program in. if you buy the program with video lessons, it can be more engaging, but more expensive too.
Because you buy each subject individually, the cost can also vary depending on what you choose.
You can get away with a set for around $100, making it a pretty average cost for a homeschool science curriculum.
Apologia also has free shipping on orders over $150.
When Can I Buy This Curriculum on Sale?
Apologia often goes on sale around the same time people buy curriculum in America. So this is around June, July, or August.
What Homeschooling Method Does This Program Use?
This program primarily uses the Classical and Charlotte Mason homeschooling methods, but it is quite eclectic and hands-on too.
Apologia is designed for use in homeschooling environments and is compatible with a variety of homeschooling methods.
It is often used by parents and teachers who follow a classical education, Charlotte Mason, or unschooling approach, as well as those who adopt a more eclectic approach to homeschooling.
Does Apologia Include All Subjects?
No, this science curriculum is focused specifically on science education and does not include all subjects. However, within the field of science, Apologia offers a comprehensive range of courses and materials, including:
- Biology: A comprehensive high school biology course, designed to provide students with a solid understanding of the biological sciences.
- Chemistry: A comprehensive high school chemistry course, designed to introduce students to the fundamental concepts of chemistry and prepare them for more advanced courses in the field.
- Physics: A comprehensive high school physics course, designed to provide students with a solid understanding of the principles of physics and prepare them for more advanced courses in the field.
- Astronomy: A course in astronomy, designed to help students understand the structure and behavior of the universe.
- Zoology: A series of courses in zoology, designed to help students understand the animal kingdom and the diverse forms of life on our planet.
- Botany: A course in botany, designed to help students understand the world of plants and the role they play in our environment.
- General Science: A course in general science, designed for elementary school students, covering a wide range of scientific topics and concepts.
- Math:(Surprise!) You can bundle math and Science at the moment up to Grade 4
In addition to these core science courses, the Apologia homeschool science program also offers a variety of supplementary materials and resources, including lab kits, study guides, and textbooks, to help students maximize their learning experience.
As students get older, they can take more advanced courses like Marine Biology and so forth.
Can I Use This to Supplement Another Homeschool Curriculum?
Yes, this program can definitely be used to supplement another homeschool curriculum.
In fact, this is a common use for this curriculum, as many homeschooling families find that it provides a comprehensive and engaging approach to science education that complements their existing curriculum.
For example, some families use Apologia to supplement a homeschool curriculum that does not include science, or that focuses primarily on other subjects such as language arts, history, and math.
By incorporating the Apologia science curriculum into their homeschooling program, these families are able to provide their children with a more well-rounded education that includes a strong foundation in the sciences.
Additionally, many families choose to use this program because it provides a biblical, creationist perspective on science, which they believe aligns with their religious beliefs.
If a family’s existing homeschool curriculum takes a different approach to science education that they are not comfortable with, they may choose to supplement it with Apologia Science to provide their children with an alternative, faith-based perspective on science.
Are There Any Drawbacks to This Curriculum?
Like any educational product, Apologia Science Curriculum has its strengths and weaknesses. Some of the potential drawbacks of using this curriculum include:
- Cost: The Apologia homeschool curriculum can be more expensive than other homeschool science curriculum options, and the cost can add up if you are purchasing multiple books for multiple children.
- Availability: While this program is widely available, it may not be readily accessible in all areas, and shipping costs can also be a factor for families in remote locations.
- Limited secular resources: While this program provides a biblical, creationist perspective on science, some families may prefer a more secular approach to science education. If you are seeking a secular curriculum, Apologia may not be the best fit for your family.
- Rigidity: Some homeschooling families find the Apologia curriculum is quite structured and rigid and that it does not provide much flexibility for individualized learning. (Other families love the flexibility involved though and the amount of flexibility has been listed as one of the features! Your comfort with the curriculum depends on how much flexibility or rigidity you want in your homeschool.)
It is important to remember that these are potential drawbacks and that your personal experience with Apologia science curriculum may vary.
Before deciding, it is a good idea to research the curriculum thoroughly and read reviews from other homeschooling families to determine if it is the right fit for your family.
What are Other Curriculum Programs Like Apologia?
There are many other science homeschool curriculum programs similar to Apologia. These include:
- BJU Press Science
- Abeka Science
- AOP Monarch Science
- Real Science-4-Kids
- Creation Science Study Program
- Hands-On Science by Bridgeway Academy
- Science Shepherd
- Science in the Beginning by Master Books
- The Young Scientists Club
- God’s Design for Science by Pioneers of Faith.
Let’s compare a few of these with Apologia below.
Berean Builders vs Apologia
Berean Builders Science Curriculum provides a biblical perspective on science, but it does not cover all the science topics that Apologia homeschool curriculum covers.
Instead, Berean Builders focuses on providing a solid foundation in scientific principles, rather than a comprehensive science education.
This makes it a good choice for families who are looking for a more relaxed, less rigorous science curriculum that provides a biblical worldview.
Masterbooks Science vs Apologia
In comparison to Apologia, Masterbooks has a science curriculum that focuses on providing students with a biblical perspective on science and a solid foundation in scientific principles.
The curriculum is less comprehensive than Apologia Science curriculum and does not cover as many science topics.
However, Masterbooks Science (which is written primarily with a relaxed Charlotte Mason approach) is designed to be used by families who want a more relaxed, less structured science curriculum that provides a biblical perspective.
The curriculum is also written in a conversational style that makes it easy for students to understand and enjoy.
BJU Press vs Apologia
BJU Press and Apologia are similar in the format in which they provide their materials (they offer online or book-based choices), but the main difference between the two is the teaching methods they employ.
Apologia is a mix between Classical, Charlotte Mason, and other methods, while BJU Press uses the traditional spiral method.
Both programs, however have excellent reviews and are very hands-on.
Abeka vs Apologia
Abeka is quite similar to BJU Press because it uses the traditional method. Again, it offers online and offline formats. However, Abeka is slightly more expensive than BJU Press.
BJU Press and Abeka both come as full curriculum kits. So children can do their science curriculum with all the other materials from the same company. Many parents find can be helpful to buy it all together.
The Good and the Beautiful vs Apologia
The Good and the Beautiful Science curriculum is a literature-based science curriculum that emphasizes hands-on experimentation and critical thinking skills.
The program is designed to be used by families who are looking for a more relaxed and flexible approach to science education.
The curriculum is written in a conversational style that makes it easy for students to understand and enjoy and is presented in a way that encourages students to make connections between science and their faith.
However, please keep in mind that this program is written by a lady who attends the LDS (Mormon) church. This means content won’t be gospel-centered like the Apologia curriculum will be.
Where Can I Purchase This Program?
You can purchase this program at their website here.
Is Apologia Homeschool Accredited?
No. The Apologia homeschool curriculum is not accredited.
Accreditation is a process by which an educational institution or program is evaluated by an outside agency to determine if it meets certain standards.
Accreditation is often seen as a stamp of quality and can be important for families who want to ensure their children receive a high-quality education.
However, homeschooling curriculums are not typically accredited because homeschooling is considered a form of private education and is therefore not subject to the same regulations as public or private schools.
Instead, homeschooling families can choose to use a curriculum that aligns with their educational philosophy and values, and that provides the resources and support they need to be successful.
How Popular is the Apologia Science Program?
Apologia is VERY popular.
Especially among Christian homeschoolers in America.
It is a well-known and highly regarded homeschool science curriculum.
This program has been in use for over two decades and has been used by thousands of homeschooling families across the United States and around the world.
Because it is so good, the curriculum has received many positive reviews from homeschooling families and educational organizations, who praise its quality and effectiveness.
The popularity of this science program is due in part to its strong reputation but also to the growing popularity of homeschooling in general.
As more families look for alternative education options that allow them to customize their children’s education and align it with their values and beliefs, the demand for high-quality homeschooling curriculums like Apologia Science has increased.
Can You Look at Samples of the Curriculum Before Buying?
Yes, you can look at samples of the Apologia science curriculum before buying.
The Apologia website provides several resources for families considering the curriculum, including sample pages, student notebook samples, and course outlines.
Additionally, families can also read reviews and testimonials from other homeschooling families who have used the curriculum.
Previewing the curriculum materials can help you get a better sense of the content, format, and style of the curriculum and determine if it would be a good fit for your homeschooling needs.
It’s always a good idea to review any homeschooling curriculum before purchasing, so you can be confident that you are investing in a program that will meet your educational goals and needs.
If you’re interested in trying the Apologia curriculum, I recommend visiting the Apologia website and downloading the samples to see if the curriculum would be a good fit for your family.
What Format Does This Program Come In?
This curriculum is available in a variety of formats, including:
- Hardcover Textbook: The hardcover textbook is the core component of the program. It covers all of the science topics for a particular course, including background information, scientific concepts, experiments, and activities.
- Student Notebooks: The student notebook is a workbook that provides a place for students to take notes, complete assignments, and record the results of experiments.
- Audio CDs: The audio CD features recordings of the hardcover textbook, making it a useful resource for students who prefer to listen to the material instead of reading it.
- Solutions and Tests Manual: The solutions and tests manual provides answers to the questions and activities in the student notebook, as well as quizzes and tests to assess student learning.
- Online Curriculum via Videos: In addition to the traditional print materials, Apologia homeschool program is also available in an online format through videos, making it more accessible and convenient for homeschooling families. This is a great option for high school-aged students.
The format of this science program is designed to be user-friendly, flexible, and engaging, making it a popular choice for homeschooling families. The combination of the hardcover textbook, student notebook, and audio CD allows students to learn and engage with the material in the way that works best for them.
Do They Have Placement Tests?
I haven’t seen any placement tests by Apologia (although if you know of any, let me know in the comments below!).
Can I Get a Free Trial of Apologia?
Yes. Apologia provides free, unrestricted access to the first module of each course, allowing potential buyers to preview the curriculum without any time constraints.
Want to Learn About Homeschooling?
So, you’ve learned a lot in this Simply Charlotte Mason curriculum review.
But you may want to learn more about homeschooling in general. There are two great ways to learn more about homeschooling: one is free, and one is a $67 fundamentals course.
1. The Ultimate Homeschool Parenting Program
Transform your homeschooling experience and take it to the next level with our comprehensive online course.
Led by expert educator Rebecca Devitt, you’ll learn the strategies and techniques you need to succeed in homeschooling. This program is packed with valuable resources, a personalized curriculum, and an effective way to manage your time that will help your children thrive.
You’ll have lifetime access to the course for just $67.
Sign up now and start your journey to a successful homeschooling experience!
2. The Free How to Homeschool YouTube Channel
Want something better than a homeschool blog? Look no further than the How to Homeschool YouTube channel!
This channel is designed to help homeschooling parents with expert tips, educational content, and a wide range of resources.
Whether you’re a seasoned veteran or new to the homeschooling world, you’ll find something valuable on our channel. And the best part? It’s completely free!
I know you’re going to love the channel!
Looking for a comprehensive guide to understanding the benefits of homeschooling and why it’s the best choice for your family?
Look no further than “Why on Earth Homeschool“! This book takes an in-depth look at why homeschooling is a fantastic option for families and uncovers the many often overlooked benefits.
Discover the benefits of individualized learning, flexible scheduling, strong family bonds, and an opportunity for your children to thrive in a way traditional schools cannot offer. This book will give you a chance to understand the many benefits of homeschooling and give you insights and practical tips to help you make the best decision for your family.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to unlock the full potential of homeschooling with this comprehensive guide.
Benefits of the Apologia Curriculum
Apologia Science Curriculum provides several benefits to students, teachers, and parents. These benefits include:
- Engaging and Interactive Learning: The hands-on, experiment-based approach of this program makes learning about science both engaging and interactive, helping students retain information and develop critical thinking skills.
- Comprehensive Coverage: The curriculum provides a comprehensive overview of key scientific concepts, including biology, chemistry, physics, and astronomy, helping students build a strong foundation in science.
- Alignment with Religious Beliefs: The biblical, creationist perspective of Apologia homeschool curriculum allows students to understand the natural world from a religious viewpoint, aligning their scientific education with their religious beliefs and values.
- Experienced and Knowledgeable Author: The curriculum was written by Dr. Jay Wile, a well-respected scientist and homeschool educator with over 30 years of experience in science education, ensuring that the material is both accurate and effective.
- Flexible and Adaptable: The flexible nature of the curriculum allows students and teachers to tailor their learning experience to their individual needs and preferences, making it a great option for homeschooling families or schools with unique educational needs.
These are just a few benefits of using Apologia, making it an excellent choice for homeschoolers and educators.
In conclusion, Apologia is a highly effective and engaging homeschool science curriculum that provides students with a comprehensive and hands-on education in science. Whether you are a homeschool parent looking for a curriculum for your child or a science teacher looking for a resource to use in your classroom, this program is an excellent choice.